No-yeast naan and keema {quick dinner idea}

IMG_6276
Trying to figure out what to make for dinner these days has become a major chore. I mean sometimes I know what exactly I want to have and then I get all enthusiastic to source ingredients and make it happen. But on most other days I'm just lost. I'm bored with chapati and usual curries, bored with macaroni bakes, bored with dosa/ idli and bored with soup and bread. I ask Ro what he wants for dinner and he says two words all the time, Chinese or Mediterranean. Unfortunately I'm rubbish at both these and so the only option is to eat out. Which is what Ro means by Chinese and Mediterranean, but that's not an option always isn't it?

Anyways, on one of those days I was breaking my head over what to make, I did my usual scouting of blogs to get some inspiration and landed on this beautiful blog that had pretty pictures and some interesting recipes. The yohurt naan caught my eye and the fact that it didn't need any yeast and rising time and such made it even more attractive. I have always wanted to make naan at home, and have bookmarked quite a few recipes from experts out there. But that, I kept for another time and decided to try this no yeast naan the very day I found the recipe. It was so so easy to make and came out really well. In fact, I think I like this option better than the real deal, not just because it tastes fab, more so because it was all done in under half an hour. 
IMG_6303
The first time I made it, I paired it with some Andhra egg curry, which was good, but not great. Yesterday I paired it with some kheema and it was fab. I'm not a big fan of minced beef/lamb, so I very rarely use them at home. This preparation was a pleasant change from the usual and so I enjoyed it. I am gonna use the left over mince meat in a stuffed bun, following this recipe. Both the recipes- naan and keema- are from the same blog and I'm so glad I chanced upon it on my frantic search for inspiration. 

On a completely different note, if you haven't entered my giveaway, do so soon, you only have 2 more weeks. And as I had mentioned before, we are having a bloggers meet in London on the 23rd of feb. Its a whole day event with lots of fun master classes, food and great company. We have been lucky enough to get some fabulous sponsors and it would be really great if you can make it to the event. Check out our event blog for details on how to register, sponsor updates and competitions.

No-yeast naan (recipe adapted from here, makes 10)
IMG_6283
Plain flour- 300 gms (3 cups)
Baking powder- 2 tsp
Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
Salt- 1 tsp
Sugar- 1 /2 tsp
Yoghurt- 60ml (approx. 2 tbsp)
Water- 140 ml
Oil- 2 tbsp
Butter- to brush on the naan
IMG_6280 
Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
Make a well in the centre and add the yoghurt and water.
Knead well, either using the dough hook of your mixer or using your hands, till the dough comes together.
Add the oil and continue kneading until you get a pliable dough. Don't over work it though.
Divide the dough equally into 10 and roll each into a ball.
Meanwhile, put a tawa on high heat and dust your counter with flour.
Roll out each of the dough balls into a round or oval- naan shape. My rolling skills are pathetic, which I'm sure you can see. But roll it out in whichever shape and size you prefer. 
Place the rolled out dough on to the tawa and wait till it puff up or you see bubbles appearing on top.
At this point flip it and cook for about a minute or so, and the naan is slightly charred.
Transfer to a plate and generously brush with butter.
Sprinkle some coriander leaves on top and serve warm.

Notes: Feel free to halve the recipe. have done it and it works fine.
I am sure you can improvise using garlic, cumin, herbs and spices etc etc. Incorporate it into the dough or sprinkle on top on you brush with butter.
To keep the naan warm, wrap in aluminium foil till ready to serve.

Beef keema with peas and potatoes (recipe adapted from here)
IMG_6288 
Beef mince- 500 gms
Cardamom- 3
Cinnamon stick- 1, 2 inch piece
Bay leaves- 2
Onions- 2 small, finely sliced
Ginger-garlic paste- 2 tsp
Meat masala- 3 tbsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Yoghurt- 1/4 cup
Potatoes- 2 small, peeled and diced into small cubes
Water- 1 cup
Salt- to taste
Green peas- 1 cup (I used frozen green peas)
Kasoori methi- 1 heaped tsp
Garam masala- 1 tsp
Coriander leaves- to garnish

IMG_6301 
Heat oil in a pressure cooker and once hot, throw in cardamom, Cinnamon and bay leaves and wait for it to sizzle.
Throw in the onions and sauté till they turn a golden brown in colour.
Add the ginger garlic paste and cook for 2 to 3 minutes till the raw smell disappears.
Turn the heat to high and add the minced beef.
Break the meat using the spoon and cook, stirring well, until all the meat is browned.
Reduce heat to medium and add the meat masala and chilli powder, making sure you mix it well into the beef.
Add the yoghurt and wait for it to get absorbed after which you add the potatoes
Pour the water followed by salt, give one good mix and bring to a gentle boil.
At this point close the cooker and once you see the steam, put the weight and cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
Once the time is up, take the cooker off heat and wait for the pressure to die on its own.
Open lid and put the cooker back on heat.
Add more water if its too dry or if there is loads of water, evaporate it on high heat.
Mix in the green peas followed by kasoori methi, and also check for salt. Add if required.
Sprinkle the garam masala, give one fine mix and transfer to a serving bowl.
Just before serving, garnish with coriander leaves.
IMG_6293 
Notes: Freeze the remaining in an air tight container and use to stuff buns, Sloppy Joe's, and keema dosa.
Feel free to use the same recipe with lamb.
You can also double the recipe.
If not using the pressure cooker, then cooking the mince would increase to about 20-25 minutes. Have tried it both ways. Works fine.

0 nhận xét:

 
  • The Best Blog Recipes © 2012 | Designed by Rumah Dijual, in collaboration with Web Hosting , Blogger Templates and WP Themes